- ●July 4: NEET 2020 correction window has been reactivated and candidates can submit changes till July 15.
- ●July 3: NEET 2020 exam dates have been postponed. The exam will be conducted on September 13.
- ●June 23: NEET 2020 exam dates are likely to be revised. NTA is expected to announce the details by Friday, June 26.
- ●May 24: The admit card for NEET 2020 is expected to be released on July 11.
- ●May 15: NEET 2020 correction window has been reopened till May 31.
- ●May 5: The HRD Minister in his live session with students announced that NEET 2020 exam will be conducted on July 26.
- ●April 14: NTA has extended the correction window for NEET 2020 application form. Candidates can now make the desired changes in the application form of NEET 2020 up to May 3 (5 pm).
- ●April 3: NTA has released an official notification stating that the syllabus of NEET 2020 has not been changed. The public notice mentioning details of NEET 2020 revised syllabus was fake.
- ●March 27: NEET 2020 exam postponed until further notice. According to the notification released by NTA, NEET 2020 will now be conducted in the last week of May.
- ●March 26: NEET 2020 admit card release has been postponed by the National Testing Agency (NTA). The new dates for the release of NEET admit card 2020 will be announced after May 3.
NEET or National Entrance cum Eligibility Test is an examination conducted by the National Testing Agency for admission to medical courses such as MBBS, BDS and AYUSH, Veterinary and other Indian medical/paramedical courses at both government and private medical schools. AIIMS and JIPMER MBBS examinations have also been merged with NTA NEET from 2020 onwards.
This objective question-based entrance test (MCQ) is carried out in an offline mode, with almost 11-13 lakhs applying annually. More than 15 lakh applications have been received for NEET 2020, which will be held across 154 research centers.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
4 marks for correct answer
-1 mark for incorrect answer
0 marks for not attempted
2 December 2019 to 6 January 2020
Application Correction Window
Till 15 July 2020
To be declared
13 September 2020
To be notified later
The NEET exam contains 180 multiple choice sections, divided into four sections as shown below. Candidates have to attempt this pen-and-paper based exam in 3 hours. Candidates can attempt the exam in any of the following languages- English, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Oriya, Tamil, Kannada, Telugu, Marathi, Gujarati and Assamese, which are offered based on their choice of region.
- a) Physical-world and measurement
- b) Kinematics
- c) Laws of Motion
- d) Work, Energy and Power
- e) Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body
- f) Gravitation
- g) Properties of Bulk Matter
- h) Thermodynamics
- i) Behaviour of Perfect Gas and Kinetic Theory
- j) Oscillations and Waves
- a) Electrostatics
- b) Current Electricity
- c) Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism
- d) Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents
- e) Electromagnetics Waves
- f) Optics
- g) Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation
- h) Atoms and Nuclei
- i) Electronic Devices
- a) Some Basic Concepts of Chemistry
- b) Structure of Atom
- c) Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties
- d) Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
- e) States of Matter: Gases and Liquids
- f) Thermodynamics
- g) Equilibrium
- h) Redox Reactions
- i) Hydrogen
- j) s-Block Element (Alkali and Alkaline earth metals)
- k) Some p-Block Elements
- l) Organic Chemistry- Some Basic Principles and Techniques
- m) Hydrocarbons
- n) Environmental Chemistry
- a) Solid State
- b) Solutions
- c) Electrochemistry
- d) Chemical Kinetics
- e) Surface Chemistry
- f) General Principles and Processes of Isolation of Elements
- g) p- Block Elements
- h) d and f Block Elements
- i) Coordination Compounds
- j) Haloalkanes and Haloarenes
- k) Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers
- l) Aldehydes, Ketones and Carboxylic Acids
- m) Organic Compounds Containing Nitrogen
- n) Biomolecules
- o) Polymers
- p) Chemistry in Everyday Life
- a) Diversity in Living World
- b) Structural Organisation in Animals and Plants
- c) Cell Structure and Function
- d) Plant Physiology
- e) Human Physiology
- a) Reproduction
- b) Genetics and Evolution
- c) Biology and Human Welfare
- d) Biotechnology and Its Applications
- e) Ecology and environment
NEET 2019 Analysis
The NEET 2019 question paper was relatively easy, with candidates commenting that the Biology section was time-consuming while Physics and Chemistry sections were not lengthy but were of a moderate difficulty level. The section-wise analysis of NEET 2019 is presented below:
- ● The section was overall easy, with 47% questions tagged as easy, another 47% moderate and only the remaining 6% as difficult.
- ● Of the 45 questions, 51% were from Class 12 syllabus while the remaining 49% were from Class 11 syllabus.
- ● Nearly 31.1% of the questions in the Physics section were asked from Mechanics, 24.4% from Electrodynamics, Modern Physics and Electronics ccontributed to 15.6% of the questions while Optics and Thermal Physics had 11.1.% questions each. SHM and Waves contributed to the lowest percentage of questions, i.e, 6.7%. The distribution of questions in terms of difficulty level and topic-wise is given below.
- ● The Chemistry section of NEET 2019 was easier as compared to last year’s question paper, with 60% questions tagged as easy, another 29% moderate and only the remaining 11% as difficult.
- ● Of the 45 questions, 55.6% were from Class 11 syllabus while the remaining 44.4% were from Class 12 syllabus.
- ● Nearly 38% of the questions in the Chemistry section were asked from Inorganic Chemistry, 35.6% from Physical Chemistry and 26.7% from Organic Chemistry. The distribution of questions in terms of difficulty level and topic-wise is given below.
- ● The Biology section of NEET 2019 was time-consuming but of a moderate difficulty level. Most questions were from the NCERT syllabus. 62% of the questions were of easy level, 31% were moderate whereas 7% questions were difficult.
- ● Of the 45 questions, 52.2% were from Class 11 syllabus while the remaining 47.8% were from Class 12 syllabus.
- ● Nearly 65.6% of the questions in the Biology section were asked from Botany while 34.4% were from Zoology section. The distribution of questions in terms of difficulty level and topic-wise is given below.
- ●Know the exam pattern and syllabus: Candidates must know the exam pattern and detailed syllabus for NEET before kick-starting the preparation. By going through the NEET syllabus, they will understand which subjects and topics are used in questions. Candidates can then segregate questions on each chapter and unit from previous years NEET question papers.
- ●Choose the right books: Considering the vast syllabus for NEET, it is important that candidates choose the right selection of books to ensure that they cover all the topics well. The following section provides a list of books for NEET preparation across each subject.
Best Books: Physics
Best Books: Chemistry
Best Books: Biology
- ●Create a Timetable: Following a fixed timetable will help you to stay focused on your studies and efficiently allocate time to different topics. Create a realistic timetable which you can follow strictly.
- ●Prepare Notes: The best way to improve memory skills is to prepare notes while studying. You should write down important notes in a copy which will be useful not just for memorization but also during revision.
- ●Practice NEET sample papers and previous year question papers: Regular practice is a must during your NEET Preparation and you should practice questions daily. You should solve practice questions for each chapter in addition to sample papers and previous-year papers to assess you level of preparation. Practicing these questions and papers will help candidates know different aspects of the exam - questions which are very difficult for them and those which are either moderately difficult or easy. You should mark difficult questions which will help you work on weak areas.
- ●Attempt Full-Length Mock Tests: Taking regular mock tests will help candidates in building their confidence and get used to the examination environment. Assessing the performance on these mock tests helps candidates to focus on their weak areas.
- ●Revise Regularly: Even if you have completed preparation of a particular topic, chapter or subject, you must revise the concepts on a regular basis to make sure that you retain the learnings. While revising, keep important areas (as per exam analysis) and your weak areas in mind and go through important reactions and mechanisms in addition to formulae.
Indian Nationals, foreign national candidates as well as NRIs, PIOs, OCIs can apply for the exam
The minimum age of a candidate should be 17 years, as on December 31, 2020
Candidates must have passed Class 12 board exam or an equivalent exam from a recognized institute or open school. Candidates who are appearing for Class 12 board exam or an equivalent exam in summer 2020 can also apply for NEET 2020
Candidates must have passed the Class 12 board exam or an equivalent exam with Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Candidates who have passed the Class 12 board exam or an equivalent exam with Biology as an additional subject are also eligible
Candidates should have achieved minimum required marks in the qualifying exmaination as per their category: General category: 50%, PWD in General category: 45%, SC/ST/OBC category: 40%, PWD in SC/ST/OBC category: 40%
Result and Counselling
NEET result 2020 will be declared by the National Testing Agency (NTA) in the last week of August. Candidates can download the results from the official website by logging in to their registered accounts. NEET scorecard can also be downloaded using the same method. Those who do not score above the qualifying examination will not be issued the NEET scorecard 2020. Candidate will require the NEET 2020 scorecard during the counselling process and are advised to keep it safe till the admission process is over. The result of NEET 2020 will not be sent by post under any circumstances.
The announcement of NEET result 2020 will be accompanied by the release of the final answer key. NTA does entertain any requests for the re-evaluation of the answer sheet post the declaration of NEET 2020 result. Candidates who qualify NEET 2020 will be eligible to participate in the counselling process which will be conducted at both state and national level.
NEET Merit List
National Testing Agency will release the merit list of the candidates in each category based on the NEET result 2020. An overall NEET merit list is also released which has details of all the candidates who have cleared the examination. The state and central seat allotment lists are prepared based on the NEET merit list.
It is possible that candidates score the same marks in NEET 2020 however, such candidates cannot share the same rank in NEET 2020 merit list. The following parameters are considered for tie-breaking:
- ●Candidate with higher marks in Biology is given a higher order of merit compared to others.
- ●If the marks scored in the Biology section are equal, a candidate with higher marks in Chemistry is given a higher order of merit compared to others.
- ●If marks scored in Biology and Chemistry are equal, a candidate with a lesser number of incorrect answers is given a higher order of merit.
- ●Lastly, if everything else is equal, the candidate senior in age will be placed higher in the order of merit compared to others.
NTA will publish the cut-off for NEET along with the declaration of results. The list will contain the All India category wise ranks of the qualified candidates according to which all the participating states will prepare their own merit list for the process of counselling. The candidates who have cleared the cut-off should then register themselves for the NEET 2020 Counselling process. The table below provides the opening and closing cutoff matks for the last 3 years.
List of Colleges
There are around 400 medical colleges in India that accept NEET score for admission. Some of the top colleges are:
- ●Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
- ●All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- ●Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- ●Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- ●Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
- ●King George's Medical University, Lucknow
- ●Christian Medical College, Vellore
- ●Madras Medical College, Chennai
- ●University College of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi, Delhi
- ●Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- ●Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi
- ●Grant Medical College, Mumbai
- ●Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute
- ●St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore
- ●M.S Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore
- ●Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- ●Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh
- ●Andhra Medical College, Visakhapatnam
- ●Christian Medical College, Ludhiana
- ●Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Sion, Mumbai
- ●Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad
- ●SCB Medical College, Cuttack
Ques: I am appearing for NEET 2020 examination in Delhi. Can I choose Marathi as the medium of examination?
Ans: According to the current exam pattern of NEET, regional languages are subject to geographical barriers. Thus, Marathi can be chosen as a medium if you appear for NEET 2020 in Maharashtra only.
Ques: I took a break of two years after class XII. Can I apply for NEET 2020?
Ans: Yes, you can apply for NEET 2020 provided you have secured a minimum aggregate of 50% in Physics, Chemistry and Biology and also have cleared these subjects individually.
Ques: Will NEET 2020 have sectional time limits?
Ans: No, there is no time limit to solve a section in NEET 2020.
Ques: Do I have to pay a correction fee for making changes to the NEET application form 2020?
Ans: The correction fee depends on the fields that you want to modify in the application form of NEET 2020.